Saturday, June 7, 2008

Harman Baweja had the ride of his Life

Harman Baweja had the ride of his life while shooting for Love Story 2050! While shooting for the film at the famous Salt Lake in South Australia, he rode the bike at about 170-180 kms per hour for a scene.

When contacted Harman Baweja relates, “The brief given to me was that I was supposed to be filmed like I was emerging from a dot. For that they required me to approach the camera at a high speed. I went as far as I could from the camera, so that I could make an entry on my bike with gusto. I was given a walkie-talkie to follow the instructions.”

However, things deviated a bit from the plan. Salt Lake is a huge vacant plain of about 180 kms. Harman was so focused on riding his bike that he went further ahead than required. Also because of the distance, the walkie-talkie lost network. Informs Harman, “I must have zoomed about 240 kms away and then I began my ride back. Since there was no one around, I thought that driving back at 80 or 100 kms per hour would take longer, so I started speeding up. But deep inside I was very scared, so much so that to hold myself I closed my eyes for two minutes while riding the bike. When I opened my eyes, I realised that I was actually driving my bike at 180 kms per hour. That's when I experienced an adrenaline rush and started enjoying my ride. I was holding my breath and flying through. This experience was completely a different thrill altogether.”

When asked if he will attempt to repeat such a stunt again, he said, “No. It’s not possible again. Such things happen just once in your life. Also, I can never do it in Mumbai, if you blink your eye even for a second while riding a bike even at normal speed, you face a threat to your life, forget getting away with closing your eyes.”

Harry Baweja, the director of the film and Harman’s father says, “Harman has shot an excellent take. He had gone so far that we had lost touch with him on the walkie-talkie and we could not communicate with him. But when we saw him returning, as was required in the shot, he appeared like a small dot, which kept on increasing as he approached the camera. The shot looks mind-blowing and in fact, it looks like a mirage in the film. However, later, when Harman told me about the speed, I was taken aback. But Salt Lake has nothing around it, so I guess it was all fine at the end of the day.”

Related Posts by Categories



Widget by Hoctro | Jack Book

0 comments: